- She says isn't it funny how every second, every minute, every day, month, year is accounted for, capable of being named - when time, or life, is so unwieldy, so intangible and slippery? This makes her feel compassion toward the people who invented the concept of "telling time."-
- The ice is gone now. The river is quieter. It's probably okay to put a canoe into it now if that's your only way home. -
- Do you know that people are happier when they stop trying to be happy? That's some study they did. -
- If you have to end up in the hospital, try to focus all your pain in your heart rather than your head. -
- Then we thought maybe we should get a rope and tie the tree to the curtain rod. We could disguise the rope to make it look more Christmassy.
Ah, the Christmas Rope, said Nora. A beautiful new Von Riesen family tradition.
It's really a big tree, isn't it, said my mother. -
- Elf was well aware of her responsibilities, of being demure and tender and mild even though she'd been unconventionally impregnated by an invisible force and was no expected to raise the Messiah and all on a carpenter's salary. -